You will be obsessed with the easy sweet and savory dressing that makes this kale apple slaw the perfect flavorful side dish. Shredded kale, red and green cabbage, carrots, and crisp apples come together in this crunchy and healthy coleslaw.
WHAT MAKES THIS KALE AND APPLE SLAW SO GOOD?
- It’s so simple to make with easy to find ingredients.
- A homemade honey mustard vinaigrette is also incredibly easy to make and gives these veggies the most amazing flavor.
- Aside from kale and apples, we’re upping the crunch factor by adding colorful cabbage and carrots too. Eating your kale and cabbage raw in a salad gives you tons of nutrients and plenty of fiber.
- Kale and apple slaw is a healthy side dish that pairs well with almost anything but is especially good with hearty proteins like Beyond Meat Meatloaf. For meat eaters, try offering kale salad with Air Fryer Pork Chops or Sheet Pan Salmon and Veggies.
- The flavors in this salad feel like Fall to me, but you can make it any time of year! Try this slaw for a summer BBQ or serve it as a side for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR KALE APPLE SLAW
- Take time to prep everything first. A mandoline slicer or a food processor can make easy work of shredding veggies, or give yourself a few minutes to chop everything up with your trusty chef’s knife.
- To make vegan kale slaw, use maple syrup or agave nectar in place of the honey in the vinaigrette.
- This salad is going to be most delicious if eaten the same day that you make it. The apples will start to brown and the kale will get soft if it’s left for too long.
- To prepare a day or two ahead of time, make the dressing, but store it separately in the fridge. Toss it with the slaw just before serving.
- Use your favorite apples in this recipe! Crisp apples work best. Here I used Honeycrisp apples, but you can try granny smith, gala, or pink lady apples too.
- Try other dressings! We have a whole list of delicious homemade salad dressings you can make at home.
Other Yummy Recipes
- Vegan Macaroni Salad
- Vegan Birria Tacos
- Air Fryer Beyond Burgers
- Tofu Soup
- Mashed Potatoes with Almond Milk
- Polish Cucumber Salad
- Iceberg Slaw
If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a quick review & star rating ★ below. Your comment and/or rating helps other readers!
- 2 cups kale shredded
- 1 cup red cabbage shredded
- 1 cup green cabbage shredded
- 2 cups apples (from 1-2 apples) peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup carrot shredded
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup or agave
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Add the kale, red cabbage, green cabbage, apples, and carrots to a large bowl.
- Add the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, lemon juice, dijon mustard, and salt to a mason jar or bowl.
- Whisk vigorously until all of the ingredients are thoroughly combined. If you're using a mason jar, close the lid and shake vigorously.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the slaw and toss until combined.
- For best texture and flavor, eat this slaw the same day that you make it. The apples will start to brown after a day and the veggies will get soft.
- Use any kind of crisp apples in this salad! I used Honeycrisp, but you can try granny smith, gala, or pink lady.
- Make this recipe vegan by replacing the honey with maple syrup or agave.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 146Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 183mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 3gSugar: 11gProtein: 2g