This Protein Mug Cake hits the spot when you are feeling like a chocolatey treat, but don't want to bake a full cake. It's quick and easy, and the added protein helps you feel fuller and more satisfied.
Plus, there are countless ways to make this recipe your own, like adding walnuts, white chocolate chips, or shredded coconut. Get your kids in on the fun!
WHY THIS PROTEIN MUG CAKE IS SO GOOD
- It's a Really Delicious Cake - I've had protein powder mug cake made with just protein powder and eggs, and they're really not that good. My recipe uses protein powder, but also almond flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and vanilla to ensure that this cake is as delicious as it can possibly be.
- Light and Fluffy Texture - a few secret ingredients (ok, it's baking powder and cornstarch) ensure that this mug cake microwaves into a fluffy, soft, airy cake.
- Egg Free Recipe - This cake is gluten-free (check your ingredients!), egg-free, and vegan.
- You Can Eat Protein Mug Cake for Breakfast - With around 25g of protein (or however much is in your favorite protein powder mix), you can feel good about microwaving this decadent chocolate cake and eating it as a filling breakfast.
- Cake in 5 Minutes! It takes about a minute to microwave the cake, and a couple of minutes to measure and mix the ingredients.
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR MAKING THE BEST PROTEIN MUG CAKE
- To ensure that your cake is gluten-free and/or vegan, you just need to make sure that your protein powder and other ingredients are that way! Use your favorite brand of protein powder that you already know meets your needs, or check the labels while you're shopping.
- Any protein powder will work. Chocolate protein powder usually includes cocoa powder, so it works well in this recipe, but you can also use vanilla, coconut, or any other flavor you have. You can experiment with different brands if you like, as some will have a stronger "protein" flavor than others.
- Know your microwave wattage. It takes 60-90 seconds to make a mug cake in a 1000-watt microwave but could take up to 2 minutes in a less powerful one. If your microwave is a higher wattage you may need less time.
- Add Mix-Ins like peanut butter chips, shredded coconut, or walnuts if you like, or feel free to add a layer of frosting.
- Double, triple, or quadruple the recipe! If you'd like to make up a mix of the dry ingredients so that it's quicker to make the mug cake next time, feel free.
- Pair with ice cream! This protein mug is best when paired with ice cream, check out these Ninja Creami Recipes for inspiration!
MORE QUICK AND EASY RECIPES
- Edible Brownie Batter
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Dip
- Pumpkin Whip Cream
- Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal
- Sweet Potato Brownies
Yay! you have made it this far, and I am so glad! Hey - If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a quick review & star rating ★ below. Your comment and/or rating helps other readers!
- 3 tablespoons almond flour
- 2 tablespoons chocolate protein powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips divided
- In a large mug, whisk the almond flour, protein powder, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, and baking powder together.
- Add the oil, almond milk, and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Stir in half of the chocolate chips just until combined.
- Top with remaining chocolate chips, then microwave for 60-90 seconds.
- Let your mug cake cool for a few minutes before serving.
- The microwave instructions in this recipe are based on a 1000-watt microwave. If your microwave has more power, it may take less time to cook. If you have a microwave with lower wattage, it could take up to 2 minutes to cook the mug cake.
- Be sure to use a large mug to make this recipe. It should be at least 12 ounces, and the cake batter shouldn't fill the mug more than halfway.
- Feel free to use different protein powder flavors. Other types of milk will also work just fine here.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 578Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 536mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 7gSugar: 30gProtein: 25g
Insanely Easy Recipes occasionally offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only.