These Vegan Gingerbread Cookies are soft and chewy and have a wonderful warmth to them because of the traditional holiday spices. Grab your favorite cookie cutters (and the family), and don't forget to decorate them with our homemade vegan royal icing recipe.
WHY THIS VEGAN GINGERBREAD COOKIES RECIPE IS SO GOOD
- Not only are these gingerbread cookies vegan, but they are gluten-free, too! No one will guess these cookies are vegan and gluten-free with the adorable frosted decorations. Try to save some for Santa!
- I love making Christmas cookies, and there's no more classic cookie than gingerbread cookies! Decorate angels, ornaments, stars, and gingerbread people with homemade vegan royal icing.
- These vegan gingerbread cookies are the perfect combination of soft and chewy, but firm enough for decorating.
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR MAKING VEGAN GINGERBREAD COOKIES
- Make sure your melted vegan butter is cool to the touch. If it's too warm, the dough will be runny.
- These Vegan Gingerbread Cookies are made using Bob's Red Mill gluten-free flour, which is what we recommend for this recipe.
- Like most cookies, you want to store gingerbread cookies in an airtight container at room temperature. Some people swear by refrigerating them, but I think they dry out faster in the fridge.
MORE HOLIDAY RECIPES
- Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
- Cranberry Lemon Bars
- White Chocolate Chex Mix
- Christmas Gingerbread
- Christmas Chocolate Covered Strawberries
Yay! You have made it this far, and I am so glad! Hey - If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a quick review & star rating ★ below. Your comment and/or rating helps other readers!
Gingerbread Cookies Ingredients
- 10 tablespoons vegan butter
- ¼ cup molasses
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 1 flax egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ¼ cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 heaping tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Royal Icing Ingredients
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In a medium saucepan, melt the vegan butter, sugar, and molasses over a low heat. Stir frequently.
- Once melted, transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the flax egg and vanilla extract. Beat with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Sieve in the gluten-free flour, and add cinnamon, ground ginger, baking soda, and xanthan gum. Mix together first with a wooden spoon, then by hand to form a dough.
- Shake the dough into a ball. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Split the dough in half, and roll one section with a rolling pin. Cut out shapes using cookie cutters and transfer them to the lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes — 8 minutes will result in a softer cookie, and 10 minutes will make them more crisp. Let cookies cool completely on a wire rack before decorating them.
- To make the vegan royal icing, sieve the powdered sugar into a large mixing bowl. Add the almond milk and whisk until smooth. Transfer icing to a piping bag with a small tip and decorate as desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 131Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 56mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 0gSugar: 17gProtein: 1g
Insanely Easy Recipes occasionally offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only.