This versatile Sweet Potato Sauce Recipe is creamy, sweet, and kid friendly! It’s great over warm pasta, or as a dip with veggies and pita bread. And the best part, it’s so EASY to make.
WHY THIS SWEET POTATO SAUCE RECIPE IS SO GOOD
- A Tomato Sauce Alternative – Whether tomatoes don’t agree with you, or you’re looking for something new and exciting to eat on your pasta, I think you’ll agree that this creamy and flavorful sauce is an excellent alternative to pasta sauces.
- Simple Ingredients – Fresh veggies, a few spices, and a bit of silken tofu is all you need to make this delicious pureed sweet potato sauce.
- Ready in a Flash – I use the microwave to quickly cook the sweet potatoes. It works for me! You can also bake them in the oven, or boil them if you prefer.
- Kid Friendly – Babies love this stuff! It’s sweet and savory at the same time, so I can understand why. For older kids who might not want to eat their veggies, serving pasta with sweet potato sauce could be just the trick to changing their minds.
- Versatile and Customizable – You can adjust the recipe to include different flavors if you’d like. Sweet potato pairs wonderfully with spicy, warm, and other sweet things.
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR MAKING THE BEST SWEET POTATO SAUCE
- Turmeric is the perfect spice for this sauce. Not only does it have a bold, warm flavor that is so tasty with sweet potatoes, but it’s also packed with health benefits.
- Cook the sweet potatoes however you like! Again, I think microwaving is fast and easy. You can roast the potatoes whole in the oven, make them in the instant pot, or cut them up and roast them in olive oil to get even more flavor.
- Don’t forget to make holes in the potatoes! If you’re cooking whole potatoes in any way, it’s important to use a fork or a knife to add some air vents to them first, otherwise, you may end up with a small “boom!” that you weren’t planning on.
- If you are wanting this recipe to be vegan, be sure to use a plant-based milk and nutritional yeast. If that’s not a concern, you can also use regular milk and parmesan cheese.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL ENJOY
If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a quick review & star rating ★ below. Your comment and/or rating helps other readers!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 14 ounces silken tofu
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup milk or dairy free alternative
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pierce the skin of the sweet potatoes a few times with a knife and microwave them on full power for 15 minutes or until completely cooked through. Slice the potatoes in half and carefully scoop out the flesh, discarding the skins.
- Add a little oil to a frying pan and cook the onion on a medium heat until softened – about 5 minutes. Then add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the sweet potato flesh, cooked onion and garlic, and all remaining ingredients to the bowl of a food processor.
- Process until completely smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl or storage jar to be used in your dish of choice.
- Cooking sweet potatoes in the microwave is very simple, but you can also roast them in the oven, or peel, dice, and boil them if you prefer.
- This sauce is the main ingredient in our Sweet Potato Pasta recipe.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 166Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 134mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 3gSugar: 8gProtein: 13g
Insanely Easy Recipes occasionally offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only.